Tuesday, February 2, 2010

# 14 Surprise my husband!

So this isn't the grand surprise I dreamed of when I challenged myself to this but October 27th is getting closer and closer so I am giving myself a bit of a break - shocking!
Yesterday, my loving husband, Jay, turned 35! Jay and I have been married almost 12 years. Our first year of marriage, we experienced everything imaginable - job change, job loss, moving out of state, 2 surgeries, the worst tornado in Oklahoma history right in our neighborhood and more I am sure! We always joke that when it came to the For Better or For Worse part of our vows, we decided to get the worst out of the way! Jay is a hard-working, extremely devoted husband and an amazing father. When we agree (read, i talked him into) me staying home with the girls for a bit, he didn't hesitate. He has been incredibly supportive even when things have gotten tough. So while I wish I had the time and the resources to surprise him with a grand gesture, this was actually pretty simple but the thought behind it was filled with admiration, appreciation and lots of love!

I planned a small dinner party for 6. Me, Jay the girls and his parents. Jay had no idea - we normally keep his birthday and my birthday very simple. I made shrimp scampi, a pretty big deal since it is his favorite and I am allergic. The girls and I made sweet signs to decorate the house and baked cupcakes in the color of Brooke's soccer team since Jay is the "#1 soccer dad!"
I think everyone had a great time! My precious 10 year old questioned me about why I spent so much time making a fancy dinner and setting a nice table - she said she thought we always had pizza for birthdays! I didn't realize I had become so predictable! I just tried to explain that as you get older, you start to realize how special birthdays are and when someone you love so much gets another year older, it's important to recognize it and to show them just how much they are loved! Ihope that is just what we did!
Here are some pics from the party!




And just to make it extra special, i created my own ice sculpture centerpiece!

Ok so technically, that is an icicle from our roof but I do get points for creativity, right??

One more thing - i just want to add I am so excited about our blogging circle get-a-way! Kind of ironic that I haven't even attended one single class reunion and now i am planning a mini-vacation with some of my new found friends - do you realize how many things I am going to be able to cross off my list in just that one trip - woohoo!

ps I promise it won't be the skinny-dipping. Well, I'm not going to promise - you better just hope I get that crossed off before we get there!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! You are really on a roll with getting items crossed off your list! I better get movin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome. It is so nice to do things for others. Your kids are learning from you how to treat others and that is wonderful. And I love the ice sculpture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please no skinny dipping at the slumber party!

    ReplyDelete