Thursday, February 25, 2010

Me? A security threat? Help me Oprah!


Dear Oprah Scouts, I continue to give you show idea after show idea and still no call, no e-mail not even one single comment! Where's the love I ask you, where is the love? Perhaps you have not found something Oprah-worthy. I'm catching what you're tossing. So I present yet one more potential show topic. Almost middle age (yet they look much younger) stay at home moms being profiled at DMV's. . You can call the show, "They are called STAY AT HOME moms because the DMV won't give them a driver's license." What? too long? it's a working title. work with me and stay focused please.

Informally yours,

Jennifer O. Lacy (if i legally change my middle name to Oprah will it help at all, cause I'll do it!)

Number 40 on my list is to obtain an Oklahoma driver's license. Simple enough. Apparently, not so. I have a valid Kansas driver's license so I haven't been in a huge rush to obtain one in the "great" state of Oklahoma. However, i needed to present one to Brooke's school.
So Tuesday morning Kate and I showered and made ourselves "ID picture ready" (you know, make-up, hair, cute top, then sweats and flip flops on the bottom) and headed to the DMV. I called in advance to make sure I had everything I needed, I did. I got there and had to take a number. Is there anything more humbling? Seriously, take a number and have a seat. It was so quiet (just the kind of place you do NOT want to be waiting at with a hungry/tired three yr old!) and GASP! they made me turn off my cell phone. Not silence it. TURN. IT. OFF. That meant I couldn't even facebook my way through the wait! Almost two hours later - NUMBER 44!! WooHoo! I gave my best brightest smile to the obviously, underworked and overpaid "attendant." I presented her my Texas birth certificate, not ideal in this sooner obsessed state. She gave me the horns down sign and told me it was a hospital certificate and she couldn't accept it. My smile widened and I am pretty sure my accent became a little more southern while I gushed, "I understand, a lot of people make the same mistake, it's happened my whole life! It is a hospital certificate, but see that little seal. That makes it ok. It's a state seal. I have dealt with this my whole life, it's fine. Thanks." She responded coldly and abruptly, "not since 9-11 it ain't." Hmmmm didn't see that coming. Especially since I renewed my license in 2006 which was about 5 years after 9-11. When I tried to explain that to the woman. She just kept shaking her head and saying, "9-11." I offered an alternative. I brought my marriage license, sometimes that helps. Not so. "9-11." Please know I am not making light of 9-11 at all. It is the single most reprehensible event in our lifetime but I am not sure what is has to do with me updating my driver's license. Personally, I think it is because I am living in Oklahoma with a Kansas driver license and a Texas birth certificate, she felt i was attacking from both borders! Plus, I have shifty eyes, or so I am told. Needless to say, I left defeated which doesn't happen often but didn't really see the need to risk jail time over it. Good news is, i threw myself at the mercy of the school, and they are letting me slide! so although I am not crossing it off, i do have a plan B and plan C so stay tuned!

I am very excited about one of my next cross off attempts - create a signature cupcake recipe! I have spent a lot of time coming up with the perfect idea and i LOVE it! It's a flavor inspired by one of my husband's great loves (flavor loves, sicko) so as a bonus - I won't even want to eat them, just bake them! Next week i will take the recipe out for a test drive. I think it's going to take quite a bit of trial and error. Anyone want to be a volunteer taster? Oprah?

4 comments:

  1. Jennifer I just LOVED your post and adore the humor your thread through it :)

    I would be honored to taste test your cupcakes! Or how about taking them to one of the soccer games?

    Love ya! Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Heather - funny about the soccer games, these are alcohol-laced cupcakes! :) Although I am the "snack master" for a co-ed adult team my husband plays on, so maybe! I keep threatening/promising to bring jello shots for half time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a soccer team I need to join then if you bring jello shots. I won't promise how good I will play but I promise to smile and laugh a lot ... maybe even point, lol.

    Great blog, I love your humor, too. I wish we lived closer. You brighten anyone's day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer, I absolutely loved this post! I laughed the whole way through! What's wrong with Oprah? She should be jumping at all this great material!

    ReplyDelete