Saturday, January 30, 2010

Dear Oprah, maybe I should edit my list...

I realize that we have just begun this journey but I already see myself changing! Although, not "officially" on my list, I am pushing myself to try things I normally wouldn't. I know I mentioned that I grew up being shy - probably most of the readers here remember me as that "shy girl." That is if you remember me at all. I was seriously afraid of my own shadow, afraid to try anything new, afraid to step out of the box for even a minute. Now don't get too excited, I am not going to start a brand new kind of X-treme sport or start jumping out of airplanes but I am taking baby steps.

Today, i did something I have never done before. It is embarrassing to admit but I had never been sledding before. I have taken my kids numerous times and laughed as my husband raced them down the hill but I have always stood at the bottom, watching. As a kid, it was my fear of heights, of getting hurt, of the unknown. As an adult, those fears magnified. Ridiculous, I realize. But today, I did it. I climbed up the hill, sat criss-cross applesauce on a sled and slid over the bumps, over the ice to the beautiful glorious bottom, laughing the entire way. Over and over again! It may not have been much but somedays even a molehill can feel like a mountain!


1 comment:

  1. Awesome, I am sooooo proud of you! I love the pics, too! Just expland your list by another number ... I think that's perfectly fine to live outside the box! :)

    ReplyDelete