Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Number 4 - volunteer for a church ministry...


CHECK! Yay!! I am officially crossing one of my 40x40's off my list! Sunday, Jay and I taught our very first Sunday School Class at church. We had observed the week before but I didn't want to cross it off until it was official.
Years ago, I taught Sunday school for my small little church in Edmond. Now I go to one of the biggest churches in the city. What a difference! I got a little freaked out when they tried to "mic" me to teach! Luckily, I have a loud voice and we had a great bunch of kids that were good listeners!
We had 23 (yes twenty three!!) kids in our combined 4th and 5th grade class! We are teaching the early class so I was surprised to have so many kids! The curriculum is called "Grapple" basically it uses bible teachings to help pre-teens grapple with their daily lives! The lesson this week was how is the Bible different from any other book or is it? We got into this lengthy discussion on the Twilight book series and whether or not they were appropriate to read. I am telling you, I have never felt more exhilerated! Everyone was so grateful that Jay and I volunteered to teach this class but I am telling you, we were the ones who were Blessed! We are teaching on a rotating schedule and just committed to teach till summer but my hope is we will continue and follow this group as they move into confirmation and youth group over the next couple of years, Brooke included!
I wanted to say thanks to everyone participating in this, I hope you all are finding great rewards and our continual support of one another leads us all to the "BIG O!" Of course, I'm talking about Oprah - what did you think i meant??

4 comments:

  1. Amazing...I would love to be part of the 40x40, but I am already 43 .. maybe I can do 40x45?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure - or you can do a 40 things in your 40's! Jump on board and we will add you!

    ReplyDelete